Wednesday, June 07, 2017
This is a Q&A with Colorado Ballet Principal Chandra Kuykendall.
Chandra Kuykendall with her husband and son
- Where are you from?
- Where did you train/dance before coming to Colorado Ballet?
I trained at Colorado Ballet.
- What did you do with your summer break?
I went to Paris, Amsterdam and London with my husband. We saw performances by Paris Opera Ballet and Royal Ballet School.
- What age did you first start dancing? What do you remember from your first class?
Age 6. I don't remember my first class I just always remember dancing.
- What was your first ballet you remember attending? What do you remember about it?
I think the first real ballet I attended I was in. A mouse in Colorado Ballet's The Nutcracker.
- Who are your ballet role models? Dancers that inspire you.
My favorite ballerina is Altynai Asylmuratova from Kirov. Her technique and her artistry are so inspiring.
- Proudest moment in your ballet career?
Being promoted to Principal.
- Favorite choreographer(s) you’ve worked with?
Amy Seiwart, Jessica Lang, Edwaard Liang
- If you could get a lesson/class from anyone, it would be ________
- Best advice you’ve ever received from a teacher?
Don't give up.
- Favorite ballets to dance? Which are favorite to watch?
To dance: Swan Lake, Giselle, Bruch Violin Concerto
To watch: Swan Lake, Giselle, In the Middle Somewhat Elevated
- Dream role?
Odette/Odile - lucky to have danced
- If you could never dance again, what would you want your final role to be?
I don't like this question but would probably be the Purple Girl in Bruch Violin Concerto
- What do you like to do when you aren’t dancing (your free time)?
Spend time with my son and my husband.
- What are some of your indulgences?
Vanilla ice cream.
- Do you have any pre-performance routines/rituals?
Too many to list! I used to be worse, now most are out of habit and not superstition.
- What production(s) are you most excited about this year?
Definitely Giselle. It was the first full length ballet I performed so it has a special place in my heart.
- What would you say to people who come to see the Colorado Ballet?
Please come see us! We have a wonderful season ahead!